How To Prepare Your Business for Severe Weather
Unpredictability is sometimes the only predictable thing about the weather in North Alabama. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to prepare your business for severe weather threats such as flooding from powerful storms or tornadoes.
During high winds and torrential downpours, storm damage to the exterior of your commercial property may be unavoidable. Take the following steps to minimize potential damage:
- Clear all drains and gutters from debris to allow for heavy rainfall to flow freely.
- Prune bushes and trees near the building.
- Ensure that lightning rods, if applicable, are maintained.
- Make sure the power generator is fueled or charged and is operational.
- Bring in or secure all loose objects near the building or on the roof.
- Board up glass windows.
- Place sandbags in front of ground floor doorways or secure plastic sheeting with duct tape.
Take measures to protect building contents from flood damage. When flooding is anticipated, prepare the inside of the property in the following ways:
- Move all important inventory and documents away from windows.
- When possible, move furniture and equipment to a higher floor of the building. Remove papers housed in the bottom drawer of ground level file cabinets.
- Box up loose papers and small objects and remove items from walls.
- Unplug, wrap and store electronics off of the ground. Before moving, back up computer data.
- When you leave the building, take insurance paperwork and crucial records with you. Lock the doors, close the windows and turn off power, gas and water.
When a severe weather event approaches in Florence, AL, your first priority is ensuring the safety of your employees and yourself. Then take the above steps to protect the exterior and interior of your commercial property from flooding and high winds. In the aftermath of the storm, make sure it is safe before returning to the property. If flood damage or storm damage is evident, it's smart to contact your insurance agent and a storm restoration specialist as soon as possible.