Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home
A fire can cause devastating damage your home. It’s important to take extra precautions to avoid fire hazards before they cause damage. Often, fires are caused by something that we’ve completely overlooked. Here are a few fire hazards you should look for in your home.
Over 80% of residential electrical fires are a result of faulty wiring behind your walls. Winter months are the most dangerous due to increased usage of lighting and heating appliances. Replace frayed wires and have flickering or hot light switches inspected by an electrician. New infrared technology is available that can determine if there are potential wiring hazards behind your walls.
Cluttered Heating and Storage Areas
Storing too many things in your utility room and around your heating system, boiler, or hot water heater is not a great idea. Investing in exterior storage could prevent a fire in your home.
Overloaded Extension Cords
Extension cords are not permanent outlets. Overloading an extension cord can cause overheating and put your entire home at risk of a fire. Regularly check your extension cords to make sure they are not damaged or broken. Stop using an extension cord immediately if it feels unusually hot.
If you notice that your clothes are taking longer than usual to dry it could be a sign that your dryer vent and pipe need servicing. A blocked dryer vent can cause a fire as the hot air attempts to escape. Clean your dryer vents annually and replace the dryer hose.
An electric blanket can be cozy in the wintertime, but they are also a fire hazard if left unattended for too long. Make sure your electric blankets are turned off when not in use and do not leave them around pets.